According to Handy, Botox injections can help you get rid of nasty wrinkles and achieve younger-looking skin in just one treatment and within a week. It can also be used to treat a variety of conditions such as lazy eye, chronic migraine, overactive bladder, cervical dystonia, and more. However, it is important to follow proper aftercare precautions and practices to get the best results.
Here are a few ways to maintain your skin after getting a Botox injection:
- Aftercare instructions – After getting a Botox injection, it is crucial to follow an aftercare routine for achieving optimal treatment results and reducing the risk of bruising or spreading the toxin to other areas of the body. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Avoid exercising for 24 hours – You can resume your daily routine activities such as going to work or doing your chores since Botox therapy doesn’t require any recovery time. However, it is strictly prohibited to do intense exercise such as resistance training or weightlifting for up to 24 hours.
Your doctor may suggest you refrain from participating in exercise sessions for up to a week to allow the toxin to safely work on your body. This is because exercise increases blood flow which can spread the toxin to other parts of your body, decreasing the effectiveness at the injection site and possibly causing bruising.
However, you can perform facial exercises such as smiling, frowning, and raising your eyebrows.
- Follow best practices – Generally, you should relax for the whole day after getting a Botox injection and leave the treated area alone to improve the healing. Avoid touching, rubbing, or putting physical pressure on the affected area. This means no makeup for at least 24 hours.
It is also recommended that you sit up for the first 4 hours since lying down or bending can cause the toxin to spread and facilitate bruising. Finally, make sure you maintain a steady heart rate.
- Aftercare precautions – Following the aftercare precautions would allow you to complete the treatment without any unwanted complications. Just follow the tips below:
- Don’t drink alcohol – It is recommended that you avoid consuming alcohol 24 hours before and after getting Botox injections to avoid the risk of bruising.
- Avoid other skincare treatments – You must allow the Botox to settle into your muscles over a span of 24 hours. The process can get disrupted by performing other skincare treatments. Thus, it is advisable that you wait for 24 hours before performing skincare treatments such as:
- Facial massages
- Dermal fillers
- Exfoliating scrubs
- Avoid sun exposure – It is recommended that you avoid going out in the sun for the first 24 to 48 hours since the heat can increase your blood pressure and promote flushing which can encourage bruising. You should also avoid other forms of heat exposure such as hot tubs, saunas, tanning beds, and hot showers.
Handy suggests you avoid sleeping on the affected areas to minimize physical pressure and allow the Botox to settle into your muscles sooner. Also, contact your doctor immediately if you notice side effects such as signs of tenderness, redness, and swelling.