Our endocrine system comprises many glands which secrete certain chemicals called hormones. They help regulate and control some of the major functions of our body like respiration, sleep, digestion, growth and development, reproduction, lactation, stress, mood and more. Too little or too much secretion of hormones can negatively impact one’s overall healthPaediatric endocrinologists deal with hormonal conditions of kids across the stages of their childhood and teenage. Hormonal conditions that affect your kid’s growth, can have a major impact on his emotional and physical well-being. It’s important to visit a reputed paediatrician in Hyderabad for check-ups of your child’s health.
What Conditions Are Treated By Paediatric Endocrinologists?
Paediatric endocrinologists are skilled to treat children’s health conditions related to:
- Insulin secretion
- Hormonal balance of pituitary glands
- Reproductive glands (testes and ovaries in men and women respectively)
- Thyroid glands and metabolism
- Bone metabolism
- Adrenal glands
- Cancers of endocrine glands
Broadly speaking, paediatric endocrinologists deal with kids’ health conditions like lipid disorders, metabolic disorders, lack of growth, hypertension, paediatric diabetes and more.
When Should Your Child Visit a Paediatric Endocrinologist?
A paediatrician in Hyderabad will refer your child to a paediatric endocrinologist if he/she has one or more of the following conditions:
- Growth problems: These are reflected in various ways like abnormal height gain in children. Although short-term stagnancy or spurts in growth are regarded as normal, some kids tend to not grow at all or grow too fast. If your kid’s growth is less or in excess as compared to what’s normal, he/she may need to see a paediatric endocrinologist.
- Weight problems: Like height, there is a specific weight range that is regarded as normal in children. Some kids are more picky eaters than others, which can make them plump or skinny. But if your little one doesn’t seem to gain weight even after lots of effort or appears overweight even after trying to consume food moderately, it may be associated with the improper functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Developmental problems: Early identification of absent/low thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) can allow the endocrinologist to help your child with normal development and IQ. Else it can contribute to long-term problems. The condition can be diagnosed by a basic blood test as soon as possible after birth.
- Paediatric diabetes: Diabetes can even occur in children. If they show symptoms like frequent urination, hunger and excessive thirst, the kid could be suffering from type 1 diabetes. Then a paediatrician in Hyderabad may refer your kid to an endocrinologist.
- Early activation of the adrenaline gland: This might result in early puberty. Although it is not a critical problem, it’s advisable to see the endocrinologist to look for any occurrence of congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
Apart from these, various other health problems like ambiguous genitals, goitre, rickets, obesity and others might make it necessary for your child to visit the endocrinologist.
A pregnancy scan shows your baby’s development in your womb. But then his/her endocrine system isn’t developed enough. So, after birth, paediatric checkups should be regular to detect any endocrine disorders and have them treated by the specialist.