Impotence is described as a condition where a person’s ability to accomplish or maintain an erection or his ability to ejaculate is affected. It is commonly known as erectile dysfunction. There are various reasons that contribute to the factors of impotence; these include both physical and psychological disorders. It has been found in a study that almost 50 percent of men experience erectile dysfunction between the age of 40-70 and the risk of impotence increases with the person’s age. A healthier lifestyle and exercise is the key to safeguard yourself from experiencing impotence. A few reasons mentioned below will help you identify the various causes that led to the condition.
- The endocrine system plays an important role in regulating sexual function, mood, metabolism, etc. For example, Diabetes is a type of endocrine disease which often leads to impotence. The side effects related to diabetes is that it destroys the nerve and affects the sensations of the penis.
- There are several neurological conditions that can risk your impotence. Any kind of nerve conditions will affect the brain’s capability to communicate and send signals to the reproductive system. Various types of neurological disorders are Alzheimer’s disease, Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Stroke, and any brain or spinal tumors.
- A prostate gland surgery can also cause nerve damage, and therefore, people may experience impotence. Even long-distance bicycle riders may suffer from temporary impotence due to repeated pressure on the genitals and buttock.
- There are certain medications such as Tadacip which may affect the flow of blood and ultimately lead to erectile dysfunction. However, one should not stop taking medications without prior permission from your doctor even if it causes impotence.
- Any kind of heart-related problems or cardiac issues can cause impotence. As the heart is known for its flow of blood and if enough blood doesn’t reach the penis, a person will not be able to achieve an erection.
- High cholesterol and high blood pressure are other factors which risk you with impotence. Therefore, it is very important to maintain healthy body weight and blood pressure.
- Various lifestyle factors and emotional disorders can also lead you to impotence. A person’s emotional response can affect his ability to get sexually excited. People suffering from depression and anxiety are at higher risks of becoming impotent. Even performance-related anxiety is a kind of disorder which causes impotence.
Thus, all these factors reveal that there are several factors which can lead you to impotence; however, if you can maintain a healthy lifestyle, impotence can be controlled to a great extent.